CS:GO mapmaker in risk of getting fined $50.000 - Garm
April 19. - 2013
In an age where terrorism is on the agenda and in the media in most parts of the world, even the creations of a
Counter-Strike map maker can draw attention. Canadian Diego Liatis recently realized this, when he was suddenly facing a potential
lawsuit after creating a map based on Montreals Berri-UQÀM metro station.
Liatis had been working on the map for 9 months, but was contacted by Montreal city's transit authorities after uploading a trailer
from the map to Youtube in early 2013. The letter mentioned the copyrighted metro network and said they feared the
map might "create panic among the city's public transit users."
Further, they warned him that releasing the map would result in a lawsuit of $50.000 plus court cost. Liatis has since been trying
to gather support online and through the media and is considering the option of going to court.
You can see a video from the map below:
Check out the Global Offensive Maps Workshop - Garm
February 14. - 2013
A new feature has been added to the Counter-Strike Global Offensive community. Every map freak - or anyone getting tired of too much Dust 2 -
will be happy with Valves latest announcement; the Global Offensive Maps Workshop!
With the Map Workshop you can find new maps, vote for favorites and subscribe to any map or game mode that you'd like. Steam will automatically download the map, and update it whenever the author makes a change. Workshop maps can used in quickmatches, private matches through Play With Friends, or even offline with bots.
Map makers can specify a wide range of gameplay-affecting settings. Stick to the standard CS formula, or create a totally new experience for players. Don't worry about trying something new or testing a unique feature because you can update your maps as often as you'd like. Players and servers that have subscribed will automatically get all new updates!
The map workshop already features a wide range of maps and more is being added continuously. Below you'll find
high rated action maps (aim map and aim deagle) as well as de_cambodia, a more aestethic map.
As you might have noticed, Valve recently released another update to Counter-Strike Global Offensive.
If you are a fan of the Deagle (who isn't?) it's bad news for you as it has now been nerfed. Besides that the patch
contains various improvements for the GOTV feature.
Full changelog below:
[ NOTABLE ]
- Nerfed the Deagle.
- Added a feature to spectate friends games via GOTV.
-In 'Play With Friends,' if a friend is on an official matchmaking server the WATCH option will appear next to their name.
- DM immunity changes:
-Default immunity was raised to 10s.
-Moving cancels immunity.
[ MISC ]
- Fixed dedicated server memory leak.
- Reserved server with connected GOTV spectators will hold reservation after all players disconnected for at least TV delay time to allow spectators to watch the match to the end.
- Added convar sv_hibernate_punt_tv_clients to also punt lingering TV spectators after all players disconnected and at least TV delay time elapsed.
tv_snapshotrate will now correctly adjust client-side rates automatically for smooth spectating experience.
- Added convar tv_relayradio, 0 = off, 1 = relay team radio commands to GOTV (default value = 0).
- Added convar tv_relaytextchat, 0 = off, 1 = relay "say" chat only, 2 = relay "say" and "say_team" chat to GOTV (default value = 1).
- Team kills and team damage is now preserved for players in competitive games across disconnects and reconnects.
- Fixed a regression in naming of tv_autorecord demo files.
It's been 10 days since Valve officially released Counter-Strike Global Offensive onto Steam and today we see another big update for the game.
Besides the usual bugfixes and gameplay improvements the User Interface and spectator mode stands out with some significant changes.
Valve has added a UI that will show both team’s active weapon, player name, health, armor, etc, when spectating a 10 player match.
Also added is an X-ray vision so dead observers can see their own teammates through walls.
Take a look at the new spectator feature below:
[ Gameplay ]
- Adjusted footstep volume fade out and maximum audible distance to match source/1.6.
- Increased default Casual match length to 15 rounds.
- Fixed an issue that caused the AWP to zoom to the wrong level after reloading.
- Tuned flinch aimpunch values.
- Fixed a bug in the penetration code that incorrectly determined the exit spot as being not solid when it was which allowed penetrating much further than it should have.
[ UI ]
- Added x-ray vision of own teammates for dead players.
- Added new spectator UI that shows both team’s active weapon, player name, health, armor, etc, when spectating a 10 player match.
- Added a new convar "sv_competitive_official_5v5" that:
o Forces a match to display 5v5 scoreboards regardless of maxplayers setting ( Allows setting maxplayers to 12 to allow spectators into a 5v5 match ).
o Allows connected spectators to see both teams in x-ray.
- Added support for international characters in play with friends lobby chat.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to reset its mouse position when clicking on the UI when the window didn't have focus.
- Fixed being able to open the radio menu when you were an observer.
- You can't toggle the scoreboard in half-time now
- Fixed the scoreboard win animation firing before the scoreboard was told to come up in the end match state and was usually missed
- The countdown timer now flashes prior to the start of a match.
[ General ]
- Reduced frequency of polling server console to save CPU.
- Fixed a rare crash when applying decals.
- Significantly improved precision of dedicated server frames to match tickrate.
- Clamped dedicated server fps to match quantized tickrate.
- Fixed two exploits. One that would allow players to see out of smoke with much more clarity than players could see them if they were boosted up while inside the smoke volume. Also made the smoke a tad shorter/smaller. Two, fixed players being able to see through a few trains out of the corner of their screens on de_train and de_train_se. Thanks Volcano.
- Fixed messages in scoreboard overlapping at end match.
- To pass a vote in competitive mode, all eligible voters minus one must now vote yes
[ Community Servers ]
- Fixed cases when values of some convars set on community servers would not correctly replicate to clients.
- Game modes configuration file now specifies cfg files to exec instead of keyvalue pairs of convars to make it easier for server operators to configure their game modes. To tweak game modes it would be sufficient to provide gamemode_competitive_server.cfg and _server.cfg files for other game modes which will exec after stock cfg files.
- Linux: running srcds_run with -autoupdate will now update the server during hibernation, in addition to changelevel.
- Fixed an issue that was limiting connectivity to community servers to only 25 players.
- Deprecated mp_ggtr_rounds_per_half. Use mp_maxrounds instead.
- Changed timelimit matches to stop at round end instead of exactly when the limit expires.
Valve has released a new update for the beta version of the upcoming Counter-Strike sequel, Global Offensive.
This humongous update is full of tweaks and changes. Bots on lower levels are now less likely to make perfect hits on moving/strafing targets, while upper level bots
has increased difficulty. There are also many changes to the weapons, including increased recoil on AK47 and reduced strength of the flashbang. On top of that, is a long list
of UI, maps and audio tweaks as well as bug fixes.
The main gameplay and weapon changes are listed below - head over to Steampowered for the complete list.
• Update to bot aiming system. Players should see a substantial decrease in the ability of bots to get perfect shots on moving targets, especially at lower difficulty levels. Bots now can react poorly (or well) to enemies that are dodging/strafing, and also must now account for their own movement while shooting.
• Moved the setting of maxplayer from maps to modes in gamemodes.txt.
• Increased Casual money rewards, per Beta feedback.
• The difficulty of the upper tier bots has been increased.
• Updating movement values to community vetted numbers. Thanks Wombo!
• The max penetration distance has been increased to 7.5 feet.
• Increased recoil of the AK-47.
• Slightly lowered recoil and increased accuracy of the Famas.
• Increased armor penetration and increased damage of the MP7.
• Increased damage and increased movement speed of the SSG08.
• Decreased accuracy of the Tec-9.
• Increased damage of the UMP45.
• Fixed the “quick switch exploit” that allowed players to bypass slow weapon cycle times by switching weapons.
• Increased the duration of the AWP deploy animation to 1.25 seconds.
• Reduced the strength of the flashbang.
• Berettas no longer shift horizontally when their accuracy changes.
• The SSG08 texture has been updated.
• Added rumble effect to knife.
• Fixed grenades becoming stuck on players or inside them when thrown from within a player volume.
• Changed grenades to bounce more realistically off of players.
• Players should no longer be able to boost off of grenades.
• Reduced the opacity core radius for player standing inside a smoke grenade.
Another update to the upcoming Counter-Strike sequel, Global Offensive, has been released to the beta players.
Changes include some weapon tweaks (pistols mainly), added support for 30 players on all maps and bug fixes. Oh yes, and
chickens has been added to Inferno!
Full changelog below:
• Updated weapons based on performance metrics:
- Slightly increased the damage for the fiveseven to keep it on par with other pistols.
- Lowered the max width of the recoil patterns for the MG's to make them better for their price point.
- Lowered the spread on the Negev to be more in line with the m249.
• Improvements have been made to burst fire and tapping.
• Added player spawns to all maps to support up to 30 players.
• Player spawns are now randomly selected from a prioritized list of spawn locations in order to better support more players per map.
• Adjusted bot behavior to fix the “antline” looking behavior.
• Added support for server operators to specify tick rate with the –tickrate parameter.
• Physics simulation tick rate now set to be the same as the game tick interval.
• Bullet tracers have had improvements made to speed, visual effect, and frequency.
• Chickens added to Inferno
• The Server Browser sorts Favorites and Lan tabs by ping rather than Tags.
• The radar will no longer display an ‘X’ for dying players when they are not within sight of the player or player’s teammate.
• Weapons with a burst mode will now show which state the gun is in on the ammo panel.
• Input device is now locked to whatever device launched the game session.
• Updated the Kevlar and Kevlar + Helmet buy menu images.
• Updated the Domination icons.
• Footsteps update position more often by shifting position determination to client side entity tracking.
• Tuned ambient sounds in most maps
• Fixed a bug with individual pistol round-based achievements. They can only be earned in Classic game mode now.
• Fix for changing video settings while in game sometimes causing a deadlock.
• Added a popup message triggered when a player attempts to initiate a vote on a server with voting disable.
• Fixed bug where player's nav area would be reported as being on the floor below them causing the radar location to be displayed incorrectly.
• Fixed several UI related crash issues.
• Third party map and _SE map names no longer display in the scoreboard with the #SFUI_MAP_ localization token.
A new Counter-Strike: Global Offensive update has just been released and it's packed with goodies. Especially the weapons department
has a lot of new stuff, such as the MP9, Mac10 and Five-Seven handgun. Several other fixes and additions have also made their way into the game.
• Fixed bug that sometimes prevented players from buying grenades
• Made recoil reset after cooldown period, regardless of whether it is full
• Changed weapon availability:
- Both Ts and CTs can buy the Bizon and MP7.
- CTs may now buy MP9.
- Ts may now buy Mac10.
- Five-Seven is now available to both teams.
• Fixed numerous aesthetic bugs reported in the forums.
• Fixed many instances of players being able to access map areas that should be off limits.
• Fixed several places in which players could get stuck.
• Added thumbnail in map selection UI for de_nuke.
• Updated task bar icon to new one for CS:GO.
• Removed kill notification in kill cam that shows you as your own killer when you suicide
• Brought all ambient audio to the same level.
• Edited knife hit sound to be more universal for all surfaces.
• Unlocked server fps to it runs at the default limit of 300.
• Corrected default viewmodel offsets for listen servers.
• Fixed problem with using autoexec.cfg or launch options to execute config files.
• Removed ‘buy defuser’ and ‘buy c4’ console commands for Ts.
• Fixed problem with error message showing when pressing F5 to take a screenshot during kill cam.
• Corrected some localization errors.
The recently mentioned Steam mobile app is now available for iOS and Android. The App gives you access to your Steam account
so you can read the latest news, stay in contact with your Steam buddies, share screenshots and more. Grab it from
A fresh patch for the upcoming Counter-Strike Global Offensive has just been released. Several fixes and adjustments based on feedback
from the players has been added to the game - for instance you can no longer do grenade spam and kevlar/helmet can now be bought
separately. Check out all the changes below:
- Made Kevlar and helmet purchasable separately.
- Made defuse kits buyable.
- Based on pro feedback, fixed grenade spamming from the buyzone by limiting buy of one of each grenade type per round.
- Fixed many instances reported in forums of players being able to access areas that should be inaccessible.
- Fixed several issues with transparent walls / other elements.
- Fixed a few instances of incorrect effects associated with materials (sparks on plastic, etc.).
- Fixed some problems with the bomb being able to float in mid-air after being planted.
- Made bots less prone to getting stuck in certain areas.
- Tuned bot difficulty. They should be initially less deadly now.
- Made international characters display correctly in the UI.
- Redesigned win panel and made it team-specific.
- Fixed bug that caused player ID chevrons to remain over dead players sometimes.
- Fixed bug that caused player ID chevrons to linger when the pause menu was up.
- Addressed many UI issues that could occur when playing the game in standard definition
- Fixed the screen resize options screen.
- Adjusted the bombsite markers on the radar for some maps to reflect their locations more accurately.
- Fixed issue that sometimes caused death notices to overlap with mini-scoreboard.
- Added new music for the front end.
- Added new music for many in-game events.
- Fixed deathcam music playing twice in competitive mode.
- Addressed issue with front end music not stopping when playing via a CONNECT command
- Made some more adjustments to volume level of footsteps on various surfaces.
- Tuned ambience levels for all maps.
Valve softwares Gabe Nevell has just released a message to the CS and Steam community concerning the intrusion in the Steam databases
that took place last year. Nevell still claims that no critical data has been compromised and that the investigation continues with outside security experts:
Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.
We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.
We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.
As the mobile trend continues, Valve has just announced that they are now releasing a beta Steam app for iOS and Android devices.
The app will let you access your Steam account so that you can chat with friends, read news and group posts, access screenshots and more.
"Seeing which of your friends are online and playing a game, sending quick messages, looking at screenshots for an upcoming game, or catching a sale -- these are all features customers have requested. Mobile is changing way people interact, play games and consume media, and the Steam app is part of our commitment to meet customer demands and expand the service functionality of Steam to make it richer and more accessible for everyone" said Gabe Nevell.
So now, when you're not near a computer at least you will be able to see which games you're missing out on. To join the beta all you have
to do is download the app (which is free) and log in to your Steam account.
Christmas is once again upon us, and it's time to bring out the traditional Counter-Strike Christmas wallpaper for everyone to enjoy.
Those of you who played Counter-Strike during the betas might remember it - it's from a time where cs_assault was in the map rotation, new
weapons and maps were added frequently and 1024x768 was the most common desktop resolution...
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you!
The list of game related companies attacked by hackers keeps growing and this time unfortunately Steam was the target.
According to Gabe Nevell, hackers has compromised the Steam forum as well as a database containing user information and encrypted
credit card information. Read the full message below for more information on this:
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:
Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.
We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.
While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.
We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.
We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.
I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
Another batch of updates to Counter-Strike Source has been released. Once again we see several weapon tweaks and fixes - for instance
accuracy for pistols has been reduced and so have the accuracy for sniper rifles when moving:
Prevent AWP cycle time exploit using quick switch
Fixed bug causing HUD History to display item pickups from nearby players
Increased sized of HUD History resource to prevent clipping
Changed grenade damage so that it always hits HITGROUP_GENERIC and takes into account armor for damage calculations
Reduced standing and moving accuracy for pistols
Decreased accuracy while moving with sniper rifles
Added additional legacy mode (3) to cl_dynamiccrosshair
It's rare to see an update to Counter-Strike Source as heavy as the one released by Valve Software yesterday.
In an effort to balance the game further, a cumulative update to the weapons have been applied - some of them which will definitely be felt in the game.
We are talking better accuracy while crouching and less when running, faster zoom on sniper rifles, better run speed and accuracy for the FAMAS
and several other weapon tweaks and fixes.
A complete list of the weapon changes are listed below, and as always the update will be applied when restarting Steam.
Cumulative weapon updates
All weapons now have a new accuracy model which fixes many bugs and provides more intuitive weapon behavior
Weapons now have separate accuracy penalties for jumping, landing, and standing on ladders
All weapons are now more accurate while crouching
Accuracy penalties for movement no longer have a discrete threshold, but scale between crouch move and run speed
All rifles are less accurate while running
Fixed bug that caused the glock to fire burst rounds on three consecutive tick frames. It now fires burst rounds with a 0.05 cycle time
Fixed a bug that cause the famas to fire burst rounds on uneven intervals (0.1 and 0.05). It now fires burst rounds with a fixed interval of 0.075.
Fixed bug for the bolt action sniper rifles that caused their zoom state to incorrectly toggle when holding down fire.
Fixed bug that would cause the suppressor state on the USP and M4A1 to not be accounted for correctly when the weapons were dropped with the suppressor attached and then picked up.
Fixed fast suppressor switch exploit
Decreased range of shotguns, while slightly increasing damage
Slightly increased damage of m249
Sniper rifles now zoom faster
AWP fire animation changed to match 1.5 second cycle time
Fixed burst fire prediction of FAMAS
Fixed animation issue with elite dry fire
Fixed timing of sounds on Glock burst fire
Weapon spread patterns are no longer square
Dynamic crosshair now uses actual weapon accuracy, rather than a separate simulation
Increased run speed for Galil and FAMAS
Increased FAMAS accuracy and reduced spread for burst mode
Increased accuracy of silenced USP
Increased accuracy of zoomed sg552
Cycle time for dual elites increased to .12 second
Fixed firing of "stale" burst mode bullets on glock and famas
Fixed reload animation issue with shotguns under high latency
Fixed bug which allowed a CT to defuse the bomb in the same frame that it exploded
Pistols no longer continuously spam weapon_fire event when the +attack key is pressed. This has the side effect of no longer allowing the glock to continuously auto-fire in burst mode).
Weapons no longer continuous cycle the weapon_reload event when the reload key is pressed
Weapons no longer continuously cycle the empty fire event (and click) when out of ammo and the attack button is held
Other bug fixes
Re-enabled the ability for max grenades to be set from server convars
Allow observing other players when mp_fadetoblack is enabled and mp_forcecamera is something other than OBS_ALLOW_NONE
Scoreboard is now more robust with user modified layout changes
Added defuser icons to CTs on the scoreboard; these are analagous to the bomb icons for Ts, in that they only are visible for team members and spectators.
Defuser, bomb, and VIP icons are now colored by team color convar.
Bomb/defuser icons are no longer shown for members of the opposing team when you are not allowed to spectate them.
Updated player max speed cap so that it no longer limits players to 240 movement speed
Allow player max speed to be changed by mods
Killing friendly players no longer increments the player stat for kills with enemy weapons
Round no longer ends when timer runs out and mp_ignore_round_win_conditions is set
Players no longer get weapon donation credit for buying, dropping, and picking up the same weapon
Fixed crash related to planting C4
Fixed positioning of hud_targetid; it now is correctly visible in wide screen aspect ratios and when spectating.
Updated the multiplayer options UI so that it offers more options for configuring the crosshair.
When dynamic crosshair is disabled, the crosshair is now completely static.
Fixed a couple of issues with the view offset when dead was fighting with the observer code.
Fixed a bug where the client would have a ragdoll entity in CS, but wouldn't have actually created a ragdoll which would give a one frame glitch in the death camera position setup.
Fixed an exploit where users could disable flashbang audio effects using alias commands.
Marked the "mat_diffuse" convar as a cheat to protect against exploits.
Fixed issue with buying multiple grenades when ammo_*_max were set to other than the defaults.